Monday, May 08, 2006

A method I used to rid myself of a negative thought pattern

Well, as you know from previous posts, I'm involved with a network marketing company. Our primary method of building a leveraged income base is to go out and meet and talk with people, show them our business overview, and find people interested in building their own home-based business. I've noticed that I still have a major problem walking up to some people and talking to them. I can be in a store, office, or whatever, and be walking up to a person to introduce myself, etc..., and

just freeze. My "total" motivation evaporates and I'm left with all these doubts, worries, fears and stuff. So what do i do? I keep on walking past them, looking for someone else. Mostly the doubts, worries and fears are thoughts like "this person doesn't look like business material", "This person is too old", "This person won't be interested" and "This person won't be any good in the business".
Well, a couple weeks ago, as i was reading "Unlimited Power" by Mr. Robbins, I came across what is called the "Swish Pattern" in NLP. Basically, the Swish Pattern is the mental process of conjuring up a negative mental image, to represent some undesirable state you find yourself in, and in mind to totally and quickly shatter the image with a positive image of the state you would rather be in. It's a form of anchoring, just like the Pavlovian Dog experiments.
The negative image acts as the anchor to fire off the mental pattern of the positive image. Eventually, you know the work is done, when you go to do the swish pattern, and the positive image instantly jumps up as soon as you think of the negative image, before you even have a chance to consciously pull up the positive image. That means the anchor is "set".
Well, today, I did something similiar. I used Cool Edit Pro 2000, and recorded myself saying in a very Eeyore-like tone the 4 negative statements listed above. Then, immediately after each negative statement, I recorded myself saying immediately and with more of an upbeat manner, "I am talking to this person RIGHT now, because at worst, this person is not interested, but at best, this person is the next top earner in the company, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to help this person achieve that."
I tell you what, it WORKS! I talked to 3 people already just today. Not bad for coming out of a slump in under 3 minutes, right?
The reason I am posting about this is I want someone to try it out, use the same basic technique. Take something you are experiencing that you don't want to experience any longer, and think of what it is you DO want to experience in it's stead. Let me know how it goes!
Email me at WilliamRPerry@yahoo.com or IM me at cottontayle@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home